Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Surviving Crazymakers

Crazymakers


It's hard to say exactly what type of "Crazymakers" one should watch out for in the film industry because you never know who can start as a real friend/ ally then become a crazymaking enemy! I guess I would say the ones to watch out for the most are the ones who when you first meet them, they immediately tell you everyones business or who to watch out for. How you can spot them is they are usually overly nice and always want to ask your life story. Most people who are in the industry to really work and progress tend to keep to themselves and stay out of trouble. It's usually not until you run into the same person/people on sets that you can start to build more of a associate in them than just a business relationship. 

I know it sounds weird and maybe I'm just too conditioned to the stereotypical way things work in the industry. However these rules have worked for me and I have been able to build lasting friendships/ mentorship and great business relationships over the years because I learned this...the hard way, LOL! I was told once by the department head for the television show "Treme", that the ones that hire you remember more of the great job you did before they remember you were friends with everyone and had all the latest gossip. Now the only people I listen to on sets or consider my allies are the ones who keep the "truth" about the snakes off the set and they don't do it a way to be crazymakers but in a way of concern. 

As far as my life outside of my career... well that's a whole other story! I can't say I have the easiest time avoiding "Crazymakers" in my personal life since most are family and close friends. I tend to be the leaning shoulder everyone calls to vent or spread rumors to because I honestly pretend I'm listening or I give good advice. The problem is, I tend to want to be the mediator because I don't like those close to me to hurt or feel like no one cares about their side of the situation. 

However, since taking this class and discussing these type subjects I can see that being apart of situations like this can do more harm to my well-being than help. So I've started to practice making those Crazymakers accountable for their own drama and negative or venting situations. I have way too much going on in my life right now to add other peoples issues to my life at this point. But I can't lie and say that sometimes I do use past situations for story ideas for future show ideas and concepts. So maybe one day all my crazymakers will make me some money! LOL!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment